we're active! most of our chat is on our discord server! come say hello!

Add Reply
New Poll

SIN PREOCUPACION~, Laurel's Exam
Laurel Stranglethorn a level Necromancer from Alluum
Tapping the tips of her fingers on her palms, Laurel twisted her wrists slightly and gave the crowded room around her an stressed out look. There was so many people here, making the knot of anxiety in her stomach tighten even further. Exhaling shakily, Laurel twined her fingers together and watched them quiver in slight agitation. They were calling out names closer to her own now, and she felt the world slipping by as her own name grew even closer.

Instead of focusing on the names, Laurel found herself being drawn towards a couple of memories from the trial week before. She knew she must have garnered at least some kind of attention, even if it was negative. Since she was a necromancer, the teachers probably had a close eye on her to make sure there she didn't cause any trouble or the like. There was one memory in particular that had her positively be drenched in it.

---

It was only a couple of days ago, and a few other people had sneered at her with expressions of disgust and maybe slight fear. She was actually singing slightly, to an upbeat tune that caused Laurel to be in a good mood. However, as one of the sneering others drew closer, Laurel could hear a few insults being thrown her way. Narrowing her eyes at the human who dared to insult her, she found herself muttering her own choice curse words at the other person.

She had actually gotten into an insulting match, the volume of their voices raising every couple of words and nasty curses. When the human had attempted to punch her in the face, Laurel had clumsily ducked and let out a high pitched cackle of "Catch me if you can, you bastard!" After sticking her tongue out in a very elegant gesture, Laurel had taken off like a rocket. With the human swearing and panting heavily, Laurel's leaps onto boxes, backs of couches and other various furniture, Laurel led him on a merry chase through out the applicant's common area.

By the time she had slowed down a few hours later, the human was panting heavily, exhaustion lining his features. Laurel looked to be barely out of breath, her bright blue eyes twinkling merrily down at him. "A bit tired, hmmh?" she had taunted the human, resisting the urge to let out a hysterical cackle. The human had merely glowered at her and collapsed into a chair amid howls of laughter from the others.

---

"Laurel Alvaro Stranglethorn!" the red-haired dwarf yelled out her name, agitation clear in her voice. The other female probably hadn't slept in a long while, and looked to actually need it.

Laurel felt her head snap up in bewilderment, confusion dusting bright blue eyes. Rubbing her face blearily, the female shook off any feelings of anxiety, slight fear, and what seemed to be mischief. "Yeah, yeah.. present." she called back rather glibly, flashing the dwarf a mischievous smile when the other humanoid shot her a grumpy glare. "Cheer up, you won't be here for much longer." she added, giving the other girl a thumbs up.

With that, she entered the room and found herself facing a line of people sitting in different color chairs. Okay, wow. ..Was that a dragon at one end? Shaking her head, the female dashed across the stage and found herself clawing up the large, twisted tree she had requested along with a few others. Each long finger dug firmly into the bark, a determined expression on Laurel's face. Clawing her way rapidly up to the branch she had her eye on, the necromancer swung herself upwards and found herself bouncing along the length of the branch she was on.

A flare of exhilaration rushed through her as she launched herself through the air and found herself dangling from the end of a thick branch. Scuttling among the leaves and sticks like a squirrel, Laurel found herself grinning ferally. Remembering how much she did this in the forest outside of the orphanage, Laurel skidded down another branch, snapping a few sticks jutting out. Grasping onto the tree opposite from it, Laurel made her way from where she was on the tree and fluttered her fingers in greeting towards the class heads.

Upon leaping to the ground, Laurel focused into her magic, a wild grin on her face. Bright blue eyes appeared almost wild, as she drew up a small amount of her spoken magic and uttered a harsh, guttural word. Her fingers twitched reflexively, and the dummy in front of her exploded into splinters, sending a wave of broken wood every-where. A small kiddie pool full of water in the center of the circle of trees caught her eye, and another wild grin of exhilaration flashed through her eyes. Drawing on the small pool of magic in her hand, she uttered the same spell from before. Only this time, there was a small explosion of water.

Focusing into the pool of water, Laurel closed her eyes and gritted her teeth. Concentrating on the image of the water in her mind, Laurel reached out with her magic, struggling to fully latch onto the wispy, liquid material. A bead of sweat trickled down her face, and as her magic grasped weakly- but firmly- onto the water, she forced her hands into a sphere shape. If she would open her eyes, she would see the droplets she had scattered across the stage shudder against their will and slowly form into a spiraling stream of liquid that would shoot across the room and into the sphere that Laurel was supposed to be making.

Her mind hurt, but this element was necessary. After showing off her parkour and speed among the trees, she had to show some magic. She just didn't know what she would do with her necromantic magic. It would probably be fairly damaging. With a loud, needy gasp, she released the sphere of water into the pool, causing her to let out an even bigger stream of magic than needed. Rapidly shutting down the access in her hand, Laurel let out a shaky breath.

"Okay, I know you all know my name. However, just call me Laurel." the necromancer wheezed out, before she cupped her hands into the water and splashed it onto her face. Letting out a heavy breath of relief, Laurel wiped at her face and let a small, worried frown cross her face. "You also know I'm a necromancer. However, at the moment I'm afraid what it will do if I attempt to release the power. It's been steadily growing since I was ten, and I think if I released any pent up energy, it would destroy the room."

Giving the heads a serious look, the black-haired teenager rubbed her right hand across her face and frowned briefly. "I don't have a photographic memory, but I attempt to memorize everything I can. I'm a huge book-lover as well, so that kind of helps. I don't really have a.. home.. but the orphanage I live at is everything I've known since I was three." Laurel swallowed tightly and scuffed her toes against the stage. "I'm also pretty stealthy, especially since I sneak around a lot." Almost immediately, a horrified expression crossed her face. "I mean- I don't steal anything, beat up people! The last time I beat up someone, I was eleven, and very short-tempered." A flush of heat across her skin caused her face to look almost entirely scarlet.

"I'm also a fairly good swimmer, and can breathe under-water. I can take in some energy through water, as well, though it isn't much." Laurel strained her memory, feeling like a bug under a microscope. "Uh, I'm also a musical prodigy, according to my music teacher. My combat skills are currently nonexistent." the eighteen year old inhaled nervously and cast an uncertain look at the class heads. "I should probably stop talking now.." Ducking her head anxiously, she scuffed her feet against the wooden stage and felt herself begin to have a sinking feeling. What if it wasn't enough? What if it wasn't good enough?
survival
combat
knowledge
constitution
18 years
Student
Female [She/Her]
Bisexual
Sovann Valen a level Wizard from Alluum
Exam periods were surprisingly one of the most trying periods of working at Evercrest. Sovann pressed a nail into her skin by her ear and reflected on some of the horrific things she’d seen. However, nothing was quite so exhausting and unnecessarily painful as this full week of no sleep and watching children’s miserable attempts at showing off. Of course, she was a bit luckier in that Kalall would actually spend some time in the exam room where as some heads took the burden all on themselves. Nonetheless, Sovann found herself short on restraint.

The next applicant was a necromancer, a young one. She watched the display quietly, noting form and exertion. While there was something to be desired in the lack of finesse, Sovann noted the hunger in her eyes. That expression was almost more telling than anything that an applicant could show her. There was of course, natural talent that played into things, but more often than not, she found that those with a spark would get further through sheer force of will. She ought to know, that was the same spark that had gotten her into Evercrest in the first place.

The wizard bit back a sneer at the comment about her necromantic magic. It showed her lack of knowledge entirely on the matter, but perhaps that was good. It made it easier to groom them. When Laurel finally finished speaking, Sovann glanced around before leisurely standing.

“Laurel Stranglethorn, I am the vice head of the Sorcerer class, Sovann Cirona Basilla Valen. You have displayed magical competence as well as potentially to learn significantly more. If you wish to devote your body and soul to making yourself extraordinary, there is a spot for you with the sorcerers.” Her blank expression didn’t change even after she sat down.

@Laurel Stranglethorn • 300 words • note
survival
combat
knowledge
constitution
140 years
Vice Head
genderqueer [she/her]
gynesexual / grey aromantic
Constance Dreamweaver a level 1 elf-necromancer from Alluum
Constance pressed her palms against the sides of her bottle of whiskey, feeling the coldness sink into her palms. She spun the bottle between her hands, watching light glint off of the dark glass, then she lifted it -- shakily -- to her lips, taking a long swig of the harsh liquid.

She didn't rightfully remember the past few exams. She had been sleeping for... well, she wasn't sure how long, but it was for awhile; then, she woke up a few exams ago. She felt the familiar darkness creeping in on the edges of her vision, her head lighter than usual. She'd probably pass out again.

Someone entered the room -- she didn't catch the name -- and she glanced up from her bottle to the girl on the stage. She immediately started her exam by running to a tree? Where did they get a tree? How did she miss them placing the tree in the room?

So caught up in how the hell she missed the placement of a tree, she completely missed what the girl was doing. There were two trees, even. Maybe more, if she squinted.

Constance's attention was directed again when a dummy literally exploded. Then, there was an explosion of water. She returned her gaze to the girl. She was pulling water into a sphere. A glittering, glinting, beautiful sphere. The light reflecting off of it made Constance feel somewhat sick. Saliva gathered in her mouth, and a sour taste clung to the back of her throat. She glanced at the door; the world felt like it was tilting with her head.

She'd run out after the girl finished her exam. Constance wanted to offer to her. She seemed... talented. Yes.

She wasn't really listening to the girl's closing speech, and she didn't even pick up on her name. When she stopped talking, Constance didn't notice until the sorcerer vice head offered her class. Then, Constance stood up.

"I'd like t'offer the eras'rs." She gave the girl a thumbs up, then stumbled away from her chair and out of the room.

347 words
survival
combat
knowledge
constitution
523 years
class head
female [she / her]
heterosexual
Laurel Stranglethorn a level Necromancer from Alluum
With her eyes boring into the ground, Laurel felt oddly insecure for the outcome. Whether she would get into the academy or not- Bright blue orbs widened, the necromancer's expression absolutely stunned. The sorcerer class? If the woman wanted her to work at trying to be combat oriented, she would be sorely disappointed.

The next offer came right out of the blue as well, though it caused a flash of intrigue in her. Was the eraser class head alright? Laurel narrowed her eyes, pursing her lips tightly and clenching her fist. "Er.." casting an uncertain glance at the other heads, Laurel gestured vaguely off to where the female went. "Is she okay? I kind of want the eraser offer.."

Throwing an apologetic glance over her shoulder at the Sorcerer head, Laurel scrambled out the door to the stage and began to search for the head-in-absentia to offer her assistance.
survival
combat
knowledge
constitution
18 years
Student
Female [She/Her]
Bisexual
overlord pony a level 45 Centaur from Tatu
PAIRINGS.

be sure to post your claims!

@Laurel Stranglethorn's dragon is [user=88]@Alith[/user]
her mentor is @Marvelous Magia Muse

survival
combat
knowledge
constitution
20 years
overlord
androgynous [lor / lurr / lordself]
gynesexual aromantic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll